Monday, March 9, 2009

Snake Creek Gap: #3

Saturday was the Snake finale for this year. This was to be my 5th attempt of the 34 mile in 7 tries. I really had no idea of how I was going to do. Training has been limited due to weather and work. The plan was to ride hard, eat plenty and have fun.
Becky, Zoey and I camped again Friday night and had a great time catching up with the Nashville crew, Hodge and Millhouse. The night was gorgeous, which made for great camping. We awoke to moisture in the air, but comfy temps for riding. I sweat a good bit, so I like the weather a little cooler than most. We took off to the start line before the racer meeting, which proved a great idea. We arrived in the Dry Creek parking lot, got suited up and everyone stashed their SAG in the back of the truck so they could retrieve it at the halfway and the finish lines. I had to wait on my bike on one of the trailers. Not sure what I was thinking when I put it on there, but it arrived soon enough to make it into the 3rd or 4th group to start.
Me, Cheweiz, Monster (Scott), All business Jeff, Keith and Meanjoe lined up for the gun. We all took off and I settled into the back of the group. I wore my HR monitor for this race, I normally don't, but I wanted to see what average HR was and estimate my burned calories. So, I turned it on. I took it easy on the flat before the creek and just waited for the legs to warm up. I felt awful on the fireroad climb, and was thinking I was in for another long day. I saw Monster up the climb and I was gaining on him, I knew he was not feeling well and when I caught him before the singletrack he confirmed he was in for a long day. I almost suggested he go back to the car and catcha ride with Becky, but I didn't, he's a grown boy.
Once I hit the ST climb, my legs woke up and I started to power all the little grunt climbs. The trail was dry, I really couldn't believe it myself, this trail has never been dry. I got passed by some folks I recognized and some I didn't. I passed some folks and continued to ride pretty good. I saw Jeffy and his tang bike, he became my carrot and I kept him in sight the rest of the first half. We got out of the ST and it just felt faster than usual. Up the needle climb and now were moving fast. Jeffy got outta site for a bit, but I saw him on the ST after the road climb. The creek crossing felt good. I thought this day may get hot, I should lose my overshorts at the half. We make the next climb and ride the ridge, I am riding most of the trail. I think I had to walk a couple spots, but not as many as usual. I follow Jeffy down the fast downhill watching his wheel and almost going OTB on one of the berms.
My plan at the SAG was too get fresh bottles, eat a PB&J, get a snickers, lose the shorts and the ipod, and put some air in my back tire (it felt low). Best laid plans didn't work out. I had turned the HR monitor over, so I wasn't constantly watching it and doing time calculations in my head. I flipped it over in the parking lot. 1:45. What? I am never this fast. I gotta get outta here. Becky tells me J5 is 15 minutes and Keith and Chewiez are 10 minutes. I have the crazy notion, I can catch them if I hurry. I down the PB&J, Becky unwraps the snickers, I take it, grab my bottles and go. As I make the climb out of the halfway point, I remembered about the shorts, ipod and tire. To late now. I make the climb yoyoing with an Addictive rider and a Voodoo rider. I pass the Addictive rider who is working on his bike. He says his rim is bottoming on the rocks. I feel mine bottoming out, but decide to try and ride it out to the next SAG. I go down the hill and check my time. 2:30. I'll be at the left turn in less than 15 minutes. If I can push, I can make 4:15, maybe 4? Cross the creeks, damn the ST is fast today. The rear rim bottoms out on rock and hssssss. I stop and work on getting it changed. People start to pass by, but I'm still looking good. Get it replaced and Jeffy shows up, throws his bike down and yells. "That sucks, you were makeing great time" all I could say was, I know. I blow my first c02 and the second on didn't work well. Jeff ask Stanley if I could borrow his hand pump and he obliges. Jeff goes on as I try to air the tire, but it won't hold. More people keep going by. I start to put the wheel on to walk up to the SAG and catch a ride to the finish. Day is done.
Hodge rolls up like a superhero. Whatcha need bro? Tube. Got it , give me the wheel. 30 seconds later the tube is replaced and we have to use the hand pump to air it up. We get the wheel on and I wait on Hodge to get on his bike, I thought we could tackle the climb together. I knew my PB day was over. Hodge thought differently. He yelled, get outta here and I took off. I sprinted as much of the climb as I could, got to the top, used a floor pump to fill up the tire and filled the bottles. Hodge is coming up the hill as I finish and yells again "what are you doing here? get outta here. I cram a cliff bar down and start riding again. I hate this part of the trail, it start to get rocky and it gradually climbs. Murder on the SS. I normally go into survival mode at this point, but I felt ok. I kept eating and drinking when I could. I would hammer climbs and expect to cramp or fatigue eventually, but the legs kept responding. My technical skill started to decrease, so I pushed the easy climbs and walked the technical stuff. I passed a couple folks and powerwalked the tough sections. I saw the tower and checked the watch. 4:29. I finished the ST and started the descent down. I played it safe. I was happy with the time, so no need to get hurt over a minute or 2. Into the finish. I was tired, but felt like I had more to give. Probably from the 20 minute tire change break I got. I looked through the photos form the guy at the creek and counted 35 people who passed me. Hodge was the 23rd rider to come up.
In retrospect, I learned alot this race. Be more methodical in the SAG. Wear a watch. Keep eating and drinking. A calculated risk is still a risk.
I reaffirmed some things too. Hodge is awesome. Jeffy is awesome.
Training for Cohutta starts this week. First dirt Hundy.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great job at the Snake! Sucks about the time lost with the flat but it does sound like it gave you a nice break to rest and power through the end. You're gonna kill it next year I know with your improvements.

Good luck at Cohutta. I'll be thinking about you guys as I tell women how lovely they look in hammered jewelry.

Adam said...

Good work man! Way to bounce back from the double flat and still crush it.

Thanks again for the electrolite packs. Your right they taste like salty poo.

Adam