Monday, December 15, 2008

A matter of inches

Becky and I headed down to the low country see the in laws for our annual x-mas buffet graze and present exchange. We took the road bikes along to get some Rx d miles in. We haven't been down that way since completing the Savannah Century in August. I enjoy the riding down there, the roads are flat, which I can tolerate for a few hours, and the country traffic is very friendly. (Sidebar: Why is it a back country county like Effingham, that doesn't allow liquor to be sold at all, have all types of "Share the Road" signs and even bike lanes? Even a majority of the country traffic gives you the whole lane with traffic and a friendly wave when oncoming. Then there is progressive Gwinnett county with barely any bikes lanes and traffic is not bike educated in the least.)
We woke up Saturday and the plan was to do a 26 mile lap, Becky would stop after 1 and I would continue and do another lap. We would then clean up and head over to the grandparents.
We headed out at about 10:30 and were just settling into a decent pace. The temp was in the 40's and wind was slowing my warm up period. Several cars came by and gave us the whole lane. Once a car came from the opposite direction and the car behind us waited patiently for it to pass before preceding by. That car got the obligatory "thank you" wave. Settling in, I see a car in periphery, not inches from my handlebar and going fast. There was no oncoming traffic and the car made no effort to move over. I heard Becky give a yell and the car came so close I instinctively went of the road.
Now let me say, I am a pretty passive, non confrontational person. It takes alot to get me pissed. At this point, I am infuriated and I want to "talk" to this driver. Becky rolls past me, as I am off the road. I get back on the road and start a futile attempt to sprint in hopes that at the upcoming stop sign the car is there and I can have a "discussion" with the driver. The car was gone, but the fear that car caused remained the whole ride. Every time I would hear a car coming I would slow down and move over. I was constantly looking over my shoulder.
Damn you late model gold Ford Taurus for ruining my otherwise good ride, and damn you for screwing up my training. When we got back to the house, I called it a day and watched HGTV until it was time to leave.
I pondered the incident all day. I have been in plenty hairy near misses both on the road and the trail, but I have never had Becky and I come so close to the trailhead in the sky. I know it was just one ignorant and careless person, but there is something about someone else being so careless with MY life. Maybe it's the time we live in. Maybe it's the hustle and bustle of the x-mas season. Maybe a bike ride isn't worth your life, but when your riding sometimes it feels like it is.
The rest of the visit well and we loved hanging out with the niece and nephew. I helped build a Lego Aqua Assault craft and played a fun unscrupulous game of Monopoly, they have an ATM now.

In other bike news, decisions are plaguing me. What to do?


2 comments:

cornfed said...

Because "progressive" rhymes with "aggressive".


Don't knock the back country counties. I'm 15 minutes outside of Nashville (but still in Davidson County) and the drivers up here have been the most polite and road rules following drivers in the area. I've lived West, South, and East of Nashie.

It's not so much as they aren't progressive up here, it's that their style of life isn't as 'me' centered. They know how to take time to smell the roses, so to speak.

xtanker said...

I agree totally. I was not trying speak poorly of the back country counties. The drivers have always been very friendly, it was just an unfortunate coincidence our "near miss" happened in that county. That being said, taxes are cheap and schools are decent, so I'm afraid the pleasant back country county is becoming a more popular place to live.