Friday, December 5, 2008

I threw out a line this week and got a bite. I have a weird work week and had to do the prescribed long ride for Saturday and Sunday on Friday. c-Rash of Vialis fame jumped in on the fun and we headed up to Bull mountain for some fire road grinding. We got suited up (as temps were in the 40's) and headed down Nimblewill Gap. I had a ride planned out, but it would be a semi-scout mission, because I was not sure how the route would turn out. We climbed Nimblewill to the AT trail/ Amicolola Falls/ Old Bucktown Road intersection. The route had us descending down Old Buckhead Rd (FS 28-2) and it was a pleasant surprise. Rocks upon rocks with some washout and leaves thrown in. Neither me or my riding compadre had heard anything about this road. Given it's technical nature we labelled it a "hidden gem". The rocky descent lasted for a couple miles then turned to FS gravel road and then into pavement. We continued on pavement for about 10 miles or so. We turned on Tickanetley, then onto Roy Rd. the onto Doublehead Gap. DH Gap had a nice climb that was used during the not happening next year Tour de Georgia, we could tell its previous use due to all the "Free Floyd" paintings on the pavement. We made our way down the road to FS 58, or Noontootla. I have wanted to ride this road since I found out it was an 8 mile climb to the top of Winding Stair Gap. The road follows the picturesque creek, beautiful views all the way. Once at the top, we hopped on FS 77 to lose all the elevation we gained in a 4 mile descent. Back to the truck on FS 28-1. Just shy of 40 miles and a guestimate of 6k-8k climbing. Not bad for a Friday. Good ride, good route, good company.

Becky and I finished off the day at Taco Mac. Had a Rogue Mocha Porter, gross describes it best. I almost couldn't finish it. Highly disappointing. I followed it up with a Left Hand Snowmaster Ale, leave it to a good Colorado brew to save the day.

Ughh... gotta work all weekend

Pics
Up Nimblewill Gap
Views off Nimblewill
A teaser pic of Old Bucktown Rd.
8 mile climb looking at this





No comments: