Sunday, January 4, 2009

Welcome to Weak: Population me

Weak is the best way to describe my performance at the Snake Creek TT. Calling it a performance is even a stretch. I have mulled yesterday's events over in my head and have created a chronological order of thoughts that occurred in my head during the race. Events as follows:
"Safe bus ride in with nice guy from Huntsville, He says theres good riding in them parts, I responded, I've heard that"
"Lined up next to the Monster"
"Monster is off the start line fast, but throws his chain"
"Creek is cold, but not too bad"
"Swiftwick T and 12's were a good choice"
"Initial climb ok, oops this is getting muddy, the singletrack may suck"
"Singletrack is awful, can't stand to climb without spinning out, relegated to walking"
"First climb down, legs feel good"
"Cross the next creek, playing leapfrog with Millhouse"
"Monster catches up,but drops his chain again"
"I forgot about this trail of slop that is hard to even walk up let alone ride"
"Get passed by the Addicts"
"Sweet downhill into midway point, God, my back is killing, it usually lets up after I settle in, but it won't let up"
"Eat, dammit, but I don't feel like it, Force down a clif bar, then HTFU"
"Hey, Monster. Let's tackle the next climb"
"Sucks to see the Monster hurting, but it helps my suffering"
"I think that is Chris Ivory, up there. Not sure, he's looks to be hurtin too"
"This ridgeline sucks, Goodbye Monster"
"I am all alone in this crazy fog. GOOD your weak ass deserves it"
" I am weak and I suck at this sport"
"This is my last race"
"How much can I get for my bike?"
"What will I do with all my spare internet time?"
" I should probably eat"
"Ugghh, more climbing. Do I have a trailer attached to the bike?"
"Hey Hodge, your rockin it! Man your awesome!"
"Last SAG, gotta eat, but don't want too, force it in. HTFU"
"Guess I should ride, even little rocks suck"
"Bye Chris, good to meet you"
"I am too weak for these rocks, I should walk"
"Why is my tire rubbing the chainstay, Jabbernut is loose,I needed a break anyway"
"Eat dammit, How much longer?"
"God, I want off this ridgeline"
"Wally from Knoxville seems like a nice guy. He's on a Jabber and is wearing Twin 6, so he can't be too bad"
"Finally, the cell tower. F N cramp, ride it out weakass"
"Can't see anything on this downhill"
"Want to know your time? No"
"Way to go, didn't make any of your goals, you are so F N weak"
"Mountain bike friends are cool"
"Chili's is good after a ride"
"My bike is a mess"
"My brakes are toast and I blew a spoke, that explains the trailer I was hauling"
"The bike is clean now"
"Can't wait for February"

It all started so nicely
Picture cred to Millhouse

4 comments:

Unknown said...

hmm sounds like all 3 Snakes for me last year!

Good job on finishing!!! (I still don't take that for granted)

I'm looking forward to Feb, I think.

xtanker said...

Thanks, I did leave myself some room for improvment. Looking forward to Feb too.

jmilliron said...

Hah! Great writeup.

I felt fine the whole race. No cramps or problems eating. I just had zero power. None. Was sitting at around 150 ahr but couldn't make my bike go faster. I think the mud at the beginning sucked it out of me.

If the conditions are similar, I'm switching from 32x20 to 32x22 in February.

(milliron aka, milhouse)

xtanker said...

Jason,
I'm sticking with the same gearing for next time. I am just going to eat more in the days leading up to the race.