Sunday, February 8, 2009

17 the new 34

Becky, Zoey and I headed up Friday for the 2nd running of the Snake Creek TT. We made great time, got some dinner and joined the Yazoo crew for some beer around the campfire. Lots of laughs and catching up. Before to long the keg was killed and folks were hiding there beer stashes. Becky and I set up camp and decided to get some rest. Zoey proved to be a good little space heater under the blankets so we slept quite nicely.
Morning came and it was time for redemption. I rode so poorly at the last Snake and my snoz surgery riding hiatus left me with the option of riding the 17. I've never ridden the last half fresh, so what better excuse then now. Jeffey jumped in on my idea and to the 17 start we went. A couple lefts, a right, 3 three point turns, another left and we were there.
Jeffey and I lined up and they let us go one at a time. NWGA Sorba was great about the distance change, so our times would count. Jeffey was one person in front of me and would be my invisible carrot for the day. Check in and I'm off. I start hammerin the climb waiting for my heartrate to go off the chart, couple swithcbacks in and I see Jeffey earning some trail karma. I yell, he yell's back and that's the last I see of him. I keep climbing and the legs feel good, the HR settles and I'm feeling strong. This was very surprising, I rarely feel strong and when I do, it is short lived.
I kept pushing and was passing folks along the way. I kept drinking determined to stay fueled. Up the climb to the SAG, they refilled my bottle and to the rocks I go. I run into the Squish, we ride for a bit and talk. I am now riding up climbs I have always walked, my confidence was building by the minute. I hold a glimmer of hope I can catch Jeffey. I pass Scuba Steve and Ruth. I asked about Jeff and they let me know he is way up there, figures. Now I race the clock. Just keep moving. Up the wall hike a bike and ride/ run alot of the sections. I played leapfrog with a guy who was determined to ride the tough stuff. I squeaked by him and saw the tower. I cheesed up for a couple photos, hit the gravel, then the rode into the finish. I headed right over to Jeffey and he was hootin and hollerin about what a blast that ride was.
Pic cred to mtbepic61
We had to wait for our SAG wagon with the beer. Jeff and I were thirsty so we poked around for some beer, Doug roles in with a PR and has keys to a car that has beer. The SAG wagon shows and I began to consume beer and cookies with reckless abandoned. Squish rolls in and offers Jeffey and I "dutch rudders", we decline. The friends eventually rolled in some looking better than others, but all seamed pleased with there times and glad it was over.
Hands down, the best time I have had on a bike in a long time to include the festivities before and after the ride. Mountain biking and mountain biking friends, can't beat it.
Big thanks to Mike and Jeanie for being athletic supporters. Big mucho thanks to the best half for all the help and encouragement. Super duper huge thanks to Zoey for being a big sweety all weekend. (She was braggin about all the kisses she handed out)
Sunday's weather was gorgeous, to sore to ride, I did some landscaping and cleaned the garage. Feels good to be productive.
Training for the 34 starts Tuesday.

2 comments:

FullSquishy said...

"Dutch Rudders"......your killin' me.....LOL Good to see you Matt and thanks for riding a little while with me...it was fun.

xtanker said...

Squish, Good ridin which ya, as well