Sunday, February 1, 2009

Ch...Ch..Ch.. Chili Dawg

Saturday came and I was happy to jump in on another Chili Dawg ride hosted by Mike and family of Cartecay bikes in Ellijay,Ga. The last one I was on ended up being a muddy death march, so I was happy the wet weather was not around. However it was going to be a cold start. My plan was to bring my windbreaker jacket and I can unzip on the climbs. After driving for 20 minutes I realized I had forgotten the jacket. Well shit, I have 2 underarmor layers and cycling jersey, I even forgot the armwarmers. I considered running into Wally World (only place open) and getting a cheap jacket, but I decided just to go with the hooded sweatshirt with the alma mater on the front.
There was good crowd, a mix of geared bikes, cross bikes and SS's. Some goats showed up to check things out. The intitial plan was to ride a 28 mile option that was advertised. At the start Mike says, "everybody up for the 45?". Response "yes". Well looks like I am riding 45 now. We started up a good road climb and headed for some fireroad. Hillbilly Productions was along for the ride so you can expect a video to be released of the ride.
The bike was set up for Snake next week, 32x 21. It was fine on the climbs, but torturous on the flats. The sweatshirt worked out great and proved worthy for long dry rides. The marsupial pouch in the front was used to keep my extra gloves and and as food storage. I may have started a new fad, or I may call it a Thad, given the marsupial qualities of the sweatshirt. I scoured the internet looking for a hooded sweatshirt made of wool, but all I could find was full zip. A full zip would be okay, but the marsupial pouch would not be as useful.
Great ride with a great group of folks. The weather was awesome the roads were in good shape.I couldn't stick around for the chili, but I hear it was good. I'll add some pics as they turn up. Here's the route
(check his max speed)
I am thinking about just doing the 17 at Snake on Saturday. Given my lack of riding since the last Snake, I really don't want to be in the woods for 5 1/2 hours and have a crowd waiting on me to go eat. The 17 could be fun, if I hit it fresh. I'll make a game day decision. Gonna try and hit some ST today, before we head to the outlaws for some food and football

No comments: